The countdown is on
only 7 weeks and 5 days left of 2020, let’s try to make the best out of it! Here are my monthly favorites for October in the categories of: TV, movies, books, music, podcast episodes, fashion & beauty, food, technology, health, and my new category- monthly news & blog updates.
I finally finished all 8 seasons of ‘Girlfriends’. I don’t appreciate how it just got cancelled like that in the middle of the season. Same as ‘Moesha’ did, like where the hell is Miles at?. I still been enjoying watching ‘The Parkers’ and ‘Sister, Sister’ though. How bout that finale of ‘Lovecraft Country’?! I need season two, RIGHT NA. Also, I finished the final season of ‘The 100’ and I’m so sad a certain guy didn’t make it to the end.
- Throwback shows I’m re-watching: Half & Half, Supernatural, Bates Motel, and One on One.
- The Haunting of Bly Manor. A gothic romance from the creators of Haunting of Hill House. It’s an emotional one.
- Evil. A supernatural drama. A forensic psychologist and a priest-in-training investigates strange occurrences.
- American Murder: The Family Next Door. “ELECTRIC CHAIR!” that’s all I gotta say.
- Unsolved Mysteries, Vol. 2. I love this documentary series. The mysteries are really mind boggling for sure.
- Chambers. After a heart transplant, a young woman begins experiencing eerie visions and sinister impulses. Unfortunately this got cancelled after one season but I think one season was enough anyways. It was good while it lasted.
- Monsterland. An anthology series based on the collection of stories from Nathan Ballingrud’s North American Lake Monsters.
- Grand Army. A new teen drama TV series about 5 students at a public high school in Brooklyn as they fight to succeed, survive, and navigate through life. If you liked ’13 Reasons Why’, you would like this one too.
I was really expecting to see better horror movie options for the Halloween season. Maybe next year.
- Selah and The Spades. The underground life of a prestigious boarding school and five social cliques. I only watched this movie because of Lovie Simone, who is a great young black actress. You might remember her from the show: ‘Greenleaf’.
- Amazon’s “Welcome to Blumhouse” included 4 new horror movies: Black Box, Nocturne, The Lie, and Evil Eye. The only good one was Black Box, which was about a single father who undergoes an experimental treatment that causes him to question who he really is.
- Bad Hair. An ambitious young woman gets a weave to conform to the European hair standards in the music/television industry, she realizes her hair may have a mind of it’s own.
- His House. A young couple from South Sudan seeks asylum and a fresh start in England but they are tormented by the sinister force living in their new house.
- Throwback movie of the month: Frida. The biographical story of Frida Kahlo starring Salma Hayek, which came out in 2002. This was my first time ever seeing the movie but over the years I’ve seen and heard people mention her and I thought I’d check out her story for myself. Very good.
I didn’t buy any new books this month. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to make my “Read 10 Books a Year” goal since I’m reading more than one book right now, but at least I’m reading more and that’s all that matters. No need to feel rushed.
Top 10 Favorite Albums
- Wizkid- Made in Lagos. This album feels like a warm summer breeze and it was exactly what I needed. Much love to Nigeria!
- Xavier Omar- If You Feel. Another great album by one of my favorite male R&B artist. The album included features from Masego, Mereba and Jae Stephens. Xavier Omar’s music makes me want to fall in love again.
- Trippie Red- Pegasus. This album really surprised me as I’m not really impressed with todays new rap artists but I must say I kinda like Trippie Red. The single “I got you” ft. Busta Rhymes is a personal fav.
- Giveon- When it’s All Said and Done. I instantly fell in love with this EP. I kept replaying track one before it even finished. Giveon’s voice is so rich and beautiful, I get chills. His debut album is going to be phenomenal.
- Sam Smith- Love Goes. I knew this album would be good before I even pressed play. It’s been a long time coming for a new album from Sam Smith, it was worth the wait.
- Ariana Grande- Positions. It’s so weird hearing Ariana sing sexual songs, her image still looks very Disney Channel with that high ponytail she always wear but this was good album. A nice bop.
- Gorillaz- Song Machine, Season One: Strange Timez. To be honest, I haven’t listened to Gorillaz since the song “Feel Good Inc.” came out so I was a little skeptical about this one. I kept skipping past it but finally gave it a chance. It’s pretty cool.
- They- The Amanda Tapes. A “fairly new” LA-based duo that I just discovered last month. Their work is a perfect blend of R&B and Hip-hop beats.
- Kiana Lede- KIKI (Deluxe). 7 new songs were added to the original album. A slow sexy vibe, especially the single: “Only Fan” ft. Jacquees.
- 21 Savage + Metro Boomin- Savage Mode II. Gotta have a good ratchet album to balance it all out. Great for pre-gaming & getting litty.
Top 10 Favorite Songs/Singles
- H.E.R- Damage. Such a timeless sound. Every song of hers is a hit.
- Ella Mai- Not Another Love Song. Shocker- it’s another love song. A good one.
- Kali Uchis & Jhay Cortez- La Luz. I love me some Kali Uchis, definitely a girl crush for sure. Her style and music videos are so intoxicating.
- Die Antwoord ft. Panther Modern- Open The Door. I first heard this song on Rihanna’s 2020 Savage x Fenty fashion show and had to add it to my library.
- Megan Thee Stallion ft. Young Thug- Don’t Stop. One thing about Megan- she gonna make a new ass-shaking song.
- Sinead Harnett ft. EARTHGANG- Take Me Away. I wanna be taken away from America right about now.
- Omar Apollo ft. Ruel- Want U Around. Add this one to the panty dropper playlist.
- DaniLeigh- Monique. She was really talkin’ her shit on this.
- Sevynn Streeter- HMU. Sevynn is still so underrated and I wish she wasn’t cause she deserves more credit and recognition. A new album from her would be great right now.
- Chika ft. Charlie Wilson- Can’t Explain It (2019 single). There’s something about new artist sampling old throwback classics WITH the creator of the throwback song as a feature. It’s pure magic.
Podcast Episodes to Listen to
- BlackGirlsHeal- The 4 Types of Love Addicts, ep. 69. I’m definitely the “hopeless romantic” addict.
- Optimal Finance Daily- Living Frugally and Loving It, ep. 1307. I really want to live frugally, who wouldn’t want a more stress-free lifestyle.
- TED Talks Daily- Why children stay silent following sexual violence. The perpetrator is more likely to be a relative or someone close.
- The Introverts Guide To- Selective Friendships, ep. 47. Do you unintentionally or intentionally ghost your friends?.
- Therapy for Black Girls- Exploring Bipolar Disorder, ep. 176. I have a close cousin who was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder so this was really informative.
Fashion & Beauty
I only bought some essential items that I needed:
- Palmer’s- Raw Shea butter formula body lotion with vitamin e, also infused with marula oil and oatmeal extract. It’s paraben, cruelty and sulfate free. This lotion has me moisturized and smelling good all day long unlike some formulas that lose their smell within minutes of applying.
- O’keeffe’s Lip Repair, Unscented. In addition to my regular EOS chap sticks, I like to have one that’s specifically formulated to repair and protect lips from the brutal cold air like: Carmex or Blistex. I couldn’t find any Blistex in the store so I had to settle for O’keeffe’s. It gets the job done.
- Some basic long sleeved crew necks and flannel shirts. Cause you can’t do Fall fashion without the flannels.
My auntie made me one of my favorite meals for a late birthday surprise/gift- a seafood boil which included crab legs, shrimp, black mussels, corn, potatoes, and boiled eggs. I love when people cook for me!
I had some bomb stuffed shrimp from popular soul food restaurant in Laurel, MD: Mid-Atlantic Seafood Restaurant.
Then, I tried a Vietnamese dish for the first time from: Pho Pasteur- Catonsville, MD. I think my dish was called Mi Tom Cua. It included egg noodles with chicken broth, shrimp and crabmeat.
I also tried Thai iced tea, and loved it. It’s like an iced coffee latte but better cause it’s not highly caffeinated. I may try to make my own some day. I didn’t get a picture of my drink but this is generally how it looks:
Next, I had a Jumbo crab cake with jerk lamb chops, mac n cheese, and asiago mashed potatoes from Papi Cuisine Bar and Restaurant in Baltimore, MD. I’d definitely go back.
Lastly, a childhood favorite that I haven’t had in years- a candy apple with caramel drizzle from my local grocery store.
I really love food if you can’t tell. Trying new foods from different cultures is definitely my thing now.
I might just take this category out since I don’t see myself buying any expensive tech gadgets any time soon, I’m on a debt-free and live frugally journey, okay!!. Definitely don’t plan on upgrading to the new IPhone 12 either. But I do have a wish list: a laptop holder and stand with ventilation for using my laptop in bed or on the couch, a better office chair, and webcam covers for my laptop and smart TV. Never know who’s watching.
I’m also considering getting out of my contract with Sprint and just buy out whatever I owe. I really don’t want to deal with phone bills anymore and I don’t like being hounded for late payments. These cellphone companies do not care if you are going through financial hardship, they will double your bill. If I didn’t have the original payment, why the hell would I have almost triple the amount the next week?!. I’m really trying to figure out if it’s beneficial to go the ‘pay-as-you-go’ route but still have unlimited everything.
Some essential vitamins I’ll be stocking up on and I hope you will too during this fall and winter season:
- Vitamin D with Calcium. Having a case of the winter blues? do you often feel sluggish when it’s cold out? That may be your body’s natural response to a lack of vitamin D. There is an obvious decrease in outdoor activities during the colder months which means we won’t get enough Vitamin D from the direct sunlight as we should. So please stock up.
- Vitamin C. An antioxidant that improves well-being and boosts immunity. Without an adequate amount of Vitamin C your body will not be able to fight off viral respiratory infections properly. I still love the vegan Elderberry Gummies. Check out THESE.
- Vitamin B. Essential for metabolism support and energy production. We definitely gonna need this one for breaking down all that Thanksgiving food we bout to eat.
- Iron. If you are literally always freezing cold 24/7 like I am, then you may have iron deficiency (Anemia), which means your blood lacks adequate healthy red blood cells. Red blood cells carry oxygen to the body’s tissues. Weakness, pale skin, cold hands and feet are the biggest symptoms.
News & Updates
I accepted a new job opportunity (that I really wanted), starting mid-November, and I couldn’t be more excited. It’s been a long rough couple of months with no steady paycheck since I unexpectedly lost my job as a risk analyst right before the pandemic hit. Which was the worst timing ever. Also, unemployment benefits haven’t been very reliable. I even took a job VERY BRIEFLY at Amazon to make ends meet. I’m grateful for the power of prayer/God, and manifesting during the new moons and the recent mercury retrograde. I find that most Mercury retrogrades seem to work in my favor in terms of receiving new opportunities and clarity. I will go in deeper on this in a future spiritual journey post.
I promise this is my last year being broke and only having one source of income!
Also, I’m very grateful for having this platform and a blog community to turn to. Blogging has been super vital for my sanity and getting me through it all. I would have went crazy during the lockdowns. My upcoming blog posts will be something finance related, a funny holiday specific post, and something wholesome and positive to end the month. Stay tuned.
Till next time,