But like, not really. I don’t know how many times I have to tell my family I’m not participating in the gift exchange this year, and to not go crazy with buying me a lot of stuff. But yet..
they proceed to ignore me and now I feel obligated to Christmas shop for them in return with money I don’t really have. I’m just not in the Christmas spirit. Does anyone feel my pain?. It’s the lack of boundaries for me but also appreciating the fact that people like to buy me gifts. Even though receiving gifts is not my love language. At this point, everybody just getting gift cards. I don’t wanna hurt my brain anymore.
Heaux, heaux, heaux..
Anyways, let’s get into my monthly favorites for November 2020.
I accidentally walked in on the series finale of Supernatural– on The CW. I turned on the T.V and it was literally on the scene where Dean gets impaled by that construction item *sorry, spoiler alert*. I was so mad cause I had just started re-watching the series from the beginning because I had fallen off years ago and needed to catch up. Now I wonder if I should even continue watching since I already know what’s going to happen. This show has been on air for the past 15 years. I truly grew up watching this show from the beginning of middle school and beyond.
- Wentworth (Netflix). When I first started this show I was like “what in the corny ass wanna-be ‘Orange is The New Black’ type show is this?!“. Their accents were really tickling me and I couldn’t take it serious but things got real, really fast after the very first episode. I’ve become so obsessed with this show, every episode is crazier than the last. I’m currently on season 5. It’s very drama-filled and violent but I promise you’ll never get bored with this one. You’ll be on the edge of your seat for sure. This show focuses on the fictional lives of women in prison and their fight for power, survival, and freedom. Highly recommend.
- Trial 4 (Netflix). This is a docu-series about Sean Ellis, who was charged as a teen in the 1993 killing of a Boston cop. The journey as he fights to prove his innocence. This is one of those docu-series where you watch one episode and then have to take a break for the next 3 days before watching the next episode because it’s so emotionally charging.
- The Queens Gambit (Netflix). A young girl with an astonishing talent for chess begins a journey to stardom while battling drug addiction. It’s a good show, but I’m not really seeing what the hype is about so far.
- MINDHUNTER (Netflix). Two FBI agents in the 1970’s delves into the psychology of murder and gets close to all-too-real monsters. I like psychological thrillers and shows about psychopath’s and serial killers so this is right up my alley.
I honestly didn’t watch many new movies this month cause I’ve been so into watching Wentworth. So, this will be a very short list.
- Body Cam (Hulu). While investigating the murder of a fellow officer, veteran Renee Lomito, played by Mary J. Blige discovers a mysterious dark figure on the body cam footage. She suspects something supernatural is targeting the cops in her unit.
Told you it would be a short list. Why would I lie? LOL.
I am almost through reading Hood Feminism: Notes From The Women That a Movement Forgot by: Mikki Kendall, and I’m learning so much about how the white feminist movement have failed to show up for ALL women in the aspects of education, affordable housing, reproductive rights, gun violence, and hunger. This books also goes into the effects of patriarchy, the fetishization of black women and so much more.
I’m also trying to get back into starting my mornings off with reading daily devotionals from Our Daily Bread. It’s a FREE subscription by the way. “Helping you connect with God. Every day. Every way”.
Ya’ll, I literally screamed when I saw that announcement for the sequel to Sister Souljah’s classic: The Coldest Winter Ever, which came out in 2005. I was probably 11 or 12 years old begging my mom to let me read this book. I was so happy when she finally let me.
How every black girl bookworm is feeling right now:
It’s been two decades now and I always hoped that we would get the movie version but a book sequel will definitely do. If you don’t know who Sister Souljah is, go do your research please. I would highly recommend reading The Midnight book series and A Deeper Love Inside: The Porsche Santiago Story before reading the new book, which comes out in March 2021 so you’ll have a better understanding of it all.
Check out my Amazon book wish list: HERE. Maybe you’ll find something you like too. You can tell a lot about someone from the types of books they read.
Podcast Episodes to Listen to
- Jill Scott Presents: J.ill the Podcast: White People Sh*t” We Like, Episode 2. The women talk about some of the things white people do that they would never do and also some things that they would love doing. It’s so funny. For example, going skiing and skydiving is on my bucket list. My black ancestors would neverrr.
- The Introvert’s Guide To…:Being Perceived as Shy. As an introvert, this is the number one thing I’ve always disliked. Check out My Growing Up Shy Story if you haven’t already.
- Therapy for Black Girls: Seasonal Depression During the Pandemic, Episode 183. I miss that natural warm Vitamin D so bad.
- Angela Yee’s Lip Service: Sexual Ecstasy (ft. Mario), Episode 276. Mario opens up about his latest projects, sexual baptism, the craziest places he’s had sex, and more.
- Optimal Finance Daily: How to Save Money & Still Invest, Episode 1356. Short and to the point.
- Therapy for Black Girls: Consensual Non-Monogamy, Episode 182. If monogamy isn’t for you, this is an informative episode about what your other options are.
Top Favorite Albums
- Friend Goals EP – Tank and The Bangas.
- Sin Miedo (Del Amor y Otros Demonios) – Kali Uchis.
- The Angel You Don’t Know – Amaarae.
- Studying Abroad EP – Masego.
- Pluto x Baby Pluto – Future & Lil Uzi Vert.
- Trap God Classics: I Am My Only Competition – Gucci Mane.
- While The World Was Burning – SAINt JHN.
- Watch This! – Jean Deaux.
- Movie – Danileigh.
Top Favorite Singles
- Pick up Your Feelings – Jazmine Sullivan.
- Searching – BLXST.
- Therefore I Am – Billie Ellish.
- Freaky Girls – Megan Thee Stallion ft. SZA. *cause I’m not a fan of the whole album, sorry.
- Superpower – Kirby & D Smoke.
- SBCNCSLY – Black Coffee & Sabrina Claudio.
- Rainbow Cadillac – Yung Baby Tate.
- Pain Away – Meek Mill ft. Lil Durk.
- Give me time – McClenney.
Only because I didn’t get a chance to finish listening to these in time for them to make the cut.
- The Recession 2 – Jeezy.
- Still Home For The Holidays: An R&B Christmas Album – Various Artists.
- Plastic Hearts – Miley Cyrus.
- My Brother’s Keeper (Long Live G) – DaBaby
- Shango – Sango.
In my previous post, I said I was grateful for crab cakes so ya’ll finna see these damn crab cakes, AGAIN cause they were that delicious. I went to Angie’s Seafood in Fells Point- Baltimore, MD. Restaurants are back to only allowing 25% capacity and they have to close by 10pm. Ugh, “I hate it here” (in this pandemic).
Fashion & Beauty
I’ve still been very strict with myself on not splurging in this category and keeping myself on a tight budget.
So, nothing to see here just keep scrolling..
For this category, I just want to share about how much I love my Beats by Dre studio wireless, sound-cancelling headphones that I’ve had for a couple years now.
Especially after replacing the ear cushions, they’re just like new. For all the music listeners out there, over-the-ear headphones are very essential. So add ’em to your Christmas wish list now.
How about those COVID vaccines? Will you be getting one? Do people really have the legal right to decline them? Who will get them first?. As a healthcare worker, I feel I don’t have a choice but I’m gonna need to know that these vaccines are properly tested out and effective beforehand.
*Reminder- Wear your damn mask and sit down somewhere – Thanks, Management.
News & Updates
I’m still in the process of getting back on track financially, making sure all my bills and debts are taken care of so that everything can be on AUTOPAY again starting in January. I have some serious money goals for next year. This month I’ve been having random bouts of anxiety and depression due to stress and seasonal changes.
Work also has me super tired. Being a frontline essential healthcare worker is hard work. At this point, what is a social life? Also, my dog has to have surgery soon and I’m feeling kind of sad about it. Lastly, I will be taking a blog break after the new year to recharge and come back with new content. I’ve really surprised myself with being so consistent since June so this break will be much needed for me.
Till next time,