I don’t know who needs to hear this but September is the best month of the year. Not only because it’s my birth month, but the weather starts cooling down, Autumn begins, and school is back in session.
The only thing I don’t like is that the sun/daylight starts disappearing earlier. Otherwise, I personally see September as a time to slow down and re-focus. It’s also a great time to get a head start on Christmas shopping as well.
I’m ready for season 4 of Manifest cause I did not appreciate that cliffhanger season 3 ended off with. Season 10 of American Horror Story is great, I’m really loving it so far. Rihanna’s Savage x Fenty Show Vol. 3 came out on 9/24 and I just love everything she does and how she makes everyone look amazing in lingerie no matter their body type.
Queen Sugar season 6 is out, I finished binging just in time. Season two of Blood and Water, and season four of Dear White People is also out but I haven’t gotten into them just yet. I have/had a lot of shows on my plate as you will see below.
This month was also the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in NYC/DC so there’s been quite a few documentaries to watch about it. Some good doc’s to watch are: 9/ll: Phone Calls from the Towers and Twenty Years Later: The Women of 9/11 I can’t believe some schools are choosing not to educate students about what happened, that doesn’t make any sense to me. Just like how there’s been talks about taking slavery out of the learning curriculum.
- Wu-Tang: An American Saga- Season Two. There is some fine black men in this show. But I’m really enjoying learning all about the Wu-Tang clans humble beginnings.
- The Strain. “The Strain is a high concept thriller that tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers wage war for the fate of humanity itself.” (Hulu).
- Brand New Cherry Flavor. “A filmmaker heads to Hollywood in the early ’90s to make her movie but tumbles down a hallucinatory rabbit hole of sex, magic, revenge — and kittens.” (Netflix). Strange is an understatement for this one. Watching this show feels like a long shroom trip.
- Our Kind of People. “Inspired by Lawrence Otis Graham’s provocative, critically acclaimed book, “Our Kind of People: Inside America’s Black Upper Class,” the series takes place in the aspirational world of Oak Bluffs on Martha’s Vineyard, a historical stronghold where the rich and powerful black elite have come to play for over 50 years. OUR KIND OF PEOPLE follows a strong-willed, single mom as she sets out to reclaim her family’s name and make an impact with her revolutionary haircare line that highlights the innate, natural beauty of black women. But she soon discovers a dark secret about her own mother’s past that will turn her world upside-down and shake up this community forever.” (FOX).
- Clickbait. “When family man Nick Brewer is abducted in a crime with a sinister online twist, those closest to him race to uncover who is behind it and why.” (Netflix).
- Sex/Life. “A woman’s daring sexual past collides with her married-with-kids present when the bad-boy ex she can’t stop fantasizing about crashes back into her life.” (Netflix).
- Turning Point 9/11 and the war on Terror. “This unflinching series documents the 9/11 terrorist attacks, from Al Qaeda’s roots in the 1980s to America’s response, both at home and abroad.” (Netflix). Be prepared to get very emotional while watching
- Squid Game. “Hundreds of cash-strapped players accept a strange invitation to compete in children’s games. Inside, a tempting prize awaits — with deadly high stakes.” (Netflix). To be honest, I would’ve lost at red light, green light. I can’t cope under that kinda pressure 😂
- Candyman. “In present day, many years after the last of the Cabrini towers were torn down, Anthony and his partner move into a loft in the now gentrified Cabrini. A chance encounter with an old-timer exposes Anthony to the true story behind Candyman. Anxious to use these macabre details in his studio as fresh grist for paintings, he unknowingly opens a door to a complex past that unravels his own sanity and unleashes a terrifying wave of violence.” (IMBd). I left the theater with mixed emotions. It took me a couple hours after the movie was over to truly think about and fully analyze and understand it all. My take away is- the world is filled with Candymans (black men wrongly accused and killed), there’s not just one version of Candyman, and that you can’t rewrite the story of the original and I’m glad the directors didn’t. I felt like the movie deserved to be longer in length as well.
- Intrusion. “After a deadly home invasion at a couple’s new dream house, the traumatized wife searches for answers — and learns the real danger is just beginning.” (Netflix).
I must say, I actually enjoyed Lil Nas X’s Montero album. The “birth” of Montero was worth the wait lol. Tems EP and Drake’s new album were my most played albums of the month for sure. Chloe delivered “Have Mercy” and did not disappoint. I liked the whole Medusa theme of the music video.
Baby Keem is an artist that surprised me this month, loving the “range brothers” single with him and Kendrick Lamar. Got me yelling “Top O’ Da Mawnin” randomly for no reason. Giveon’s going on tour but I’m not sure if I would want to attend cause I’m not trying to be “in my feelings” at a concert. J. Cole and Joyner Lucas did a collab and I’m still screaming cause finally!
- Melodic Blue x Baby Keem.
- Certified Lover Boy x Drake.
- If Orange Was A Place x Tems.
- Montero x Lil Nas X.
- Donda x Kanye West.
- Capitol Cuts (Live from Studio A) x Masego.
- Sometimes I’m Introvert x Little Simz.
- And Then Life Was Beautiful x NAO.
//Favorite Songs Playlist:
Check out my birthday playlist as well:
- We’re Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Funny, Complicated, and True’ by: Gabrielle Union. $.24.25
Beauty & Skincare
No new beauty favorites for this month. I’m currently trying out some Cetaphil face wash samples. Also, I’m on the hunt for some new affordable fragrances/perfumes to start collecting.
// Nike Running Shoes. Although I don’t plan on doing any type of running chile, Nike running shoes are comfortable and stylish. Great for work and for play. I’d take sneakers over heels any day.
Food & Mini Reviews
//Girls Day out at Banditos Bar & Kitchen in Whitemarsh, MD. We started off sharing nachos with salsa and guacamole, they were pretty tasty.
I had the al pastor tacos with Mexican rice. Unfortunately, there was nothing Mexican about that rice cause it was bland as hell. And sorry there’s no picture, I was hungry.
//Birthday Brunchin’ at Miss Shirley’s Cafe in Baltimore, MD. My family treated me to brunch on my birthday. This was our first time trying out Miss Shirley’s Cafe.
We first shared some fried pimento cheese deviled eggs that were delicious!!
Then, for the main course I had buttermilk pancakes, scrambled eggs, grits with bacon bits inside and a mimosa. I got full very fast.
// My 10 year high school reunion was a success despite the rocky journey to actually getting there was. It’s like everything that could have possibly gone wrong, went wrong. My first outfit choice was a disaster so I had to scramble for another outfit, my hair got messed up twice in one night, my car got side-swiped, I couldn’t get my nails done, etc. I was so frustrated and fed up that I almost didn’t go. But I’m so glad I got it together and went anyway. I had such a great time reconnecting and chatting it up with people. Nothing but good vibes that night.
// September 23 was Bi-Visibility Day aka Celebrate Bisexuality Day, Bisexual Pride, Bisexuality+ Day.
// Mercury is in retrograde again till Oct. 18th, 2021 and I’ve already been experiencing communication and technology issues. And it just so happens that the retrograde is in my sun sign which means everything is going to hit me even harder.
//I turned 28 on September 29th. My birthday was very low-key this year. I had the birthday blues for the first half of the day but it turned out to be a great day. I felt very grateful and blessed. I went out to brunch and did a little shopping. My mom really showed out for me this year. Also, I really needed a break from work so I took a couple days off and I’m loving it. Am I the only one that makes it my mission to NOT work on my birthday?
Anyways, I received some really sweet birthday wishes and thoughtful gifts. I take my birthday very seriously and can be super petty when someone doesn’t wish me a happy birthday when I consider them to be a close friend/family member. Simply liking my birthday post is NOT saying happy birthday to me and doesn’t count.
Check out my birthday post on IG. Follow me while you’re at it 🙂
//And lastly, I finally had a chance to see my Dermatologist and ya girl is back on a new acne treatment plan. Clear skin here I come baybeee.
That’s all for now, take care.