Hi friends! I won’t hold ya’ll too long. I hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend, it’s officially-unofficially summertime!
Not much really happened this month. No big shopping hauls or new foods that I’m excited about, but I made a great playlist and discovered a new podcast that I really like.
I was able to support an old middle school friend by purchasing a book of hers, and I also started watching a very known and popular T.V. show. I’m about 18 seasons behind, can you guess what this ABC show is? It’s won several Golden Globes, Primetime Emmys’, and Screen Actor Guild awards.
I attempted to watch the Netflix reality series ‘Young, Rich, and African‘ but as soon as I saw the bleached skin and bad wigs, I had to turn it off. All the cast members have unlikeable personalities and are very superficial.
But, I finally was able to get back into season 2 of American Gangster: Trap Queens. I am so amazed by every woman’s stories.
// T.V. Shows (with new seasons out).
- The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix). “Sidelined after an accident, hotshot Los Angeles lawyer Mickey Haller restarts his career — and his trademark Lincoln — when he takes on a murder case“.
- Stranger Things- Season 4 (Netflix). “Darkness returns to Hawkins just in time for spring break, igniting fresh terror, disturbing memories — and an ominous new threat”. The new Vecna monster looks so ugly and scary, I love it!
- Queen of The South- Season 5 (Netflix). “After the return of a familiar face, Teresa reconsiders her reign as queen pin and tries to stay one step ahead of ruthless gangsters and the CIA“. That finale had my heart palpitating, whew!
- Atlanta- Season 1 (Hulu). “Young rapper Alfred “Paper Boi” Miles and his manager cousin, Earn Marks, try to build their music careers in Atlanta with the support of their best friends, Darius and Van”. A star-studded show without any real substance.
// Movies & Films.
- Downfall: The Case Against Boeing (Netflix). “Investigators reveal how Boeing’s alleged priority of profit over safety could have contributed to two catastrophic crashes within months of each other”. This documentary had me shook cause why is Boeing still in business? and I hope that MCAS system is removed from all planes. All those lives gone for nothing!
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (in theaters). “A sequel to Doctor Strange (2016). In this sequel, Doctor Strange protects America Chavez, a teen capable of traveling the multiverse from Wanda Maximoff”. I had a good movie theater experience while watching this movie even though I dozed off for a few minutes. It was very long.
- Our Father (Netflix). “After a woman’s at-home DNA test reveals multiple half-siblings, she discovers a shocking scheme involving donor sperm and a popular fertility doctor”. I still can’t wrap my mind around the fact that a doctor who essentially raped multiple patients (unbeknownst to them at the time) and fathered over 100+ children is walking around free.
- The Night House (HBO Max). “A widow digs into the past after eerie visions begin haunting her at the idyllic lake house built by her late husband. An “unpredictable and unnervingly restrained” (Associated Press) horror film”.
- Senior Year (Netflix). “A cheerleading stunt gone wrong landed her in a 20-year coma. Now she’s 37, newly awake and ready to live out her high school dream: becoming prom queen”. Have you ever watched a movie that was so stupid that you couldn’t stop watching? This is it.
- Disappearance at Clifton Hill (Netflix). “Tormented by a disturbing childhood memory, a young woman returns to her hometown of Niagara Falls and uncovers the grim details of a boy’s abduction”. A fairly good mind-twister.
If you haven’t guessed already the ABC show I started watching is ‘Grey’s Anatomy‘. Everyone rants and raves about this show, so I finally decided to see what the hype is all about. So far, I can see why people like it. I’m only a couple episodes into the first season so I don’t have a strong opinion just yet.
// Music Favorites.
Kendrick Lamar returned with a new album on May 13th which I deemed as ‘Kendrick Lamar Day’. I was super excited to listen to this album, and it made my entire day and my whole month cause honestly, that’s all I was listening to for days.
Also, I’ve been into Wiz Khalifa, Big Krit, Smoke DZA, and GirlTalk’s collab album ‘Full Court Press’. Ravyn Lenae’s debut album ‘Hypnos’ is pure gold, her voice is sweet and majestic. I’m so happy for her. Tank and The Bangas ‘Red Balloon’ album is currently on replay. I hope to see them perform live one day and their whole aesthetic makes me want to visit NOLA. ‘F.N.F. (Let’s Go)’ by: Hitkidd & Glorilla is the summer 2022 anthem, hands down.
And sorry not sorry but, I’m jumping onto the Jack Harlow hate wagon. He is not impressive at all. His presence and energy in his interviews (especially on the 85 south show) is lackluster and most of his popular songs are samples of other people’s songs and that’s why people like his music. The only song of his that I can say I like is ‘Luv Is Dro’ from 2 years ago. The icing on the cake was him not knowing who Brandy is or that she and Ray J are siblings. Bye, next callerrrr!
Favorite New Albums:
- Kendrick Lamar- Mr. Morale and The Big Steppers.
- Tank and The Bangas- Red Balloon.
- IDK- Simple (EP).
- Ravyn Lenae- Hypnos.
- Kenyon Dixon- Closer.
- Sabrina Claudio- Based on a Feeling.
- UMI- Forest in the City.
- Col3trane- Lush Life.
- Ella Mai- Heart on My Sleeve.
- Mahalia- Letter to My Ex (EP).
My newly discovered and favorite artists of the month are Planet Giza, Reuben James, Midnight Phunk with Jamilah Berry, Dee Gatti, and Ogi.
Some of my favorite songs from this past month can be found in the playlist below:
I went ahead and added all my monthly playlists to Apple Music as well for all my iPhone users that may not use Spotify.
I also really enjoyed this tiny desk home concert with IDK. I think he’s very talented and versatile. I can see him going very far. His background singers and band are also on point. Check it out!
***If I have ever put you onto new music or an artist, please let me know. It makes me feel good that people like my music recommendations.
// Podcasts + Fav Episodes.
Good Moms, Bad Choices is a dope podcast I just started following this week. It’s a podcast about two single moms who have made bad choices but are walking in their truth, unashamed, body and sex positive.
I was sold after I watched their episode with Elisabeth Ovesen FKA Korrin Steffans (video linked below). So many gems were dropped in that podcast episode. Elisabeth is so beautiful, smart, and truly inspiring. Got me about to go buy all her books cause that woman has been through a lot. She deserves her flowers! I lovee her.
I’m not sure if this is considered a podcast but I’ve been watching Reckless Discussions with Comedian and fellow Baltimorean Jess Hilarious on YouTube. They discuss various hot topics and play interesting games. Watch the BDD vs. BBL discussion video below.
// New Book: STUCK short stories by: Lequita Harrison.
Stuck is a book of short stories bringing attention to mental illnesses and disorders. I am an advocate for mental health awareness and breaking stigmas, so I had to cop this book. You can grab your copy at: lequitacharrison.com.
Lequita also offers design and print services in addition to selling her own products- mugs and bookmarks at lequitasdeisgns.com.
// Wild Growth- Light Oil Hair Moisturizer (the yellow bottle).
I’ve been using this hair oil for about 4 weeks now and my scalp is drinking it up. A little goes a long way of course. I wouldn’t recommend using it every day, 3x a week is good for me. It has a strong essential oils scent. So be mindful of that if those smells are irritating to you.
My Personal Growth Tip: hair growth is promoted by blood flow and since we are usually standing upright, sitting, or laying down most of the day, blood flow isn’t getting to our head and scalp as much. So, for at least two minutes a day, hang upside down off the edge of your bed to allow blood to flow to your scalp. I do this after moisturizing my locs and sealing in the moisture. Thank me later.
// Slide Sandals with Faux Fur in Blue.
I’m a little late to the trend but I don’t care. If it’s cute and comfy, I’m going to wear it regardless of if it’s on trend or not. I got these from a local beauty supply store, and what about it?!
// Clothing Rack.
I was gifted a clothing rack on my birthday last year or it might’ve been a Christmas gift, I’m not sure. But I finally put it together and it’s huge! The rack is literally as tall as me. I would take a picture of it but my rooms a mess. I can’t wait to go shopping now.
// Shredder Machine.
I started using my shredder machine! I can’t believe I’ve become one of those adults that get excited over office supplies and appliances. I was so tired of ripping up unwanted mail and getting paper cuts. Now, I’m always looking for something to shred. My machine also shreds credit cards too. You can find one at your local Walmart, Target, Amazon, Michael’s, or Office Depot.
Favorite Foods & Snacks
// Mini Grocery Store Salad Bowls.
Of course, on the day that I need a photo of one, I don’t have a salad bowl to show. But these little things are very filling and I take them with me for lunch at work. They are prepackaged salads that come with meats, cheese, and salad dressing. The recent one I had was a southwest chicken style salad. It’s starting to get hot so more salads, fruits, smoothies, and sushi will be added to my go to summer meals. With the exception of seafood!
// Crabs from Conrad’s.
I can’t remember exactly the last time I had some crabs, but these were worth the wait. I always go to my favorite spot: Conrad’s Crabs & Seafood Market. I don’t know if it was because of inflation or because it was Memorial Day weekend, but these crabs were a little expensive. Crabs go great with beer and wine coolers by the way, so I had my favorite Seagram’s on deck.
// Mother’s Day weekend was very relaxed and chill. Me and my stepdad got together and we did brunch for my mom, and gifted her money. My mom is not a flower-loving woman, she likes her Benjamin Franklins but I’m the opposite. Money is great but buy me all the flowers and romance me, thank you.
// Speaking of flowers, I received gorgeous sunflowers from a patient at work last week for helping him out with a situation. It was totally unexpected but it really made my day.
// My Memorial Day weekend was great. I got lots of rest which helped me be able to get out two blog posts this weekend. I had a pamper day where I got my goodies waxed and I went for a mani-pedi that was unfortunately not a good experience. I will never go back to VOX Nails Spa in Nottingham, MD. They are overpriced, overcrowded, understaffed, and do lazy work. I asked for one thing and left with something completely different. I’m in such desperate need of a consistent nail tech. I will say though, the best pedicures are at Nail Envy Spa inside of Eastpoint Mall in Dundalk, MD. In addition to getting crabs on Sunday, we had a cookout on Monday (Memorial Day) at my family’s house. My heart feels so full. I absolutely love spending time with my family.
// If you didn’t know, I’m on my debt free journey (again). I paid off a loan last month and I’m currently one payment away from paying off my credit card next month in June. Then, the only debt I will have left is my car loan which I’m not sure what I’m going to do with right now.
// Earlier this month, I saw 3 out of 4 of my doctors this month for annual/routine visits. My primary care, my gynecologist, and my dentist. I’ll see my dermatologist in July. One thing I don’t play about is my health. This is your sign to schedule your physicals, pap smears, STD testing, and teeth cleaning appointments. One thing I didn’t like about going to the doctors is how they made me feel bad by basically calling me “almost” borderline obese. Mind you- I’m 5”5/5”6ish, 152lbs with a little stomach pudge. Do they want me to starve myself?? I actually like being thicker. I struggled for too many years to gain this weight baby. And also, they tried to convince me that I need birth control (I personally decided to stop taking birth control back in April). At the end of the day, I’m going to do what’s best for my body, always!
// And lastly, I’m still getting this urge to try something new, to learn a new skill or a new hobby. My inner child is screaming to be released.
With that being said, I think June will be a very interesting month.
Happy Birthday to all the outgoing and impulsive Gemini’s out there and I hope all the Taureans enjoyed their birthdays!!
Be the woman that slaps back!Elisabeth Ovesen.
That’s all for now,